Wednesday, May 12, 2010














"Justice" photo by http://floppyphotos.wordpress.com/











Debt forgiveness: Do loans, like milk, have expiration dates?


I just got a call from Judge Joe Brown's producer. "We are interested in having your small claims court case on our show. What's the case about?"

"Well," I replied, "I loaned someone some money and she promised to pay me back and then she didn't."

"Sounds like an interesting case. How long ago did you loan her this money?"

"Approximately ten years ago."

"Sorry," the producer replied. "That's too long ago. We can't take your case."

"But...er...uh...but...wait!" I stammered -- but the producer had already hung up.

Then I got to thinking about my case. It's an airtight case. My case is an excellent case! The only thing wrong with it is that I had been too much of a softie and allowed the person who had borrowed the money too much time to pay me back. Does this mean that loans, like milk, have expiration dates?

According to Judge Joe Brown's producer, apparently they do.

Does this mean that if it takes forever for a person to pay off his or her home loan, then their home will automatically revert to becoming the debtor's property after a certain number of years -- whether this person pays on the loan or not?

Does this mean that all those third-world countries that were strong-armed into borrowing money from the World Bank are now free and clear of their debts -- because it took them too long to pay down their loans?

Does this mean that the Mob can no longer knee-cap you if you don't ever pay back your bookie?

Does this mean that the U.S. government will no longer have a seven-trillion-dollar deficit if we just wait long enough for it to become the next generation's problem?

Sure it does.

Judge Joe Brown rules!

****

Please vote for me ASAP so that I can get a scholarship to the Netroots Nation convention in Las Vegas this July! Vote here: http://www.democracyforamerica.com/netroots_nation_scholarships/810-jane-stillwater