Saturday, May 06, 2006

Grey's Anatomy: Time to do some surgery on the White House

I am a big fan of the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". It teaches me lessons about life -- and what to do in an emergency. Here's an example: Despite all his rhetoric to the contrary, George Bush is no Dr. McDreamy. So. What would Dr. Webber do about that? Take GW off the surgery scheduling board and put him on the "prison track"!

And what did George tell Izzy in that episode where there was a bomb in the hospital? "Some people are watchers and some people are do-ers." That's deep.

Up until now, America has been a nation of watchers -- watching silently while our Constitution gets eroded, our tax money is given away to the rich, we live in fear and our military is systematically looted. So. How can we turn America into a nation of do-ers, a nation composed of people like Christina, Dr. Bailey and Dr. Burke? Can you for an instant imagine Dr. Bailey putting up with the utter greed, sadism and incompetence that is pouring out of the White House today?

How can we possibly turn America into a nation of do-ers who will throw Bush, Rumsfeld, Rove, Cheney and Rice out on their ears?

"We" don't have to do anything. Bush and his cronies have already done it for us -- have sealed their own doom. They themselves changed America from a nation of lurkers into a nation of do-ers. And I know exactly when the change happened. They did it at 3:15 pm last Saturday afternoon.

That was when I, me, Jane Stillwater, went to fill up the tank of my 1990 Toyota Tercel and discovered that a measly eight gallons of gas was gonna cost me $30. That's when I immediately became a revolutionary. A do-er. A Meridith Grey. (Forget about the false Dr. McDreamy. Let's switch to the vet!)

And same thing happened to the guy in the Lexus at the gas pump next to me. $60 to top off his tank? I watched in wonder as he changed from Izzy to Dr. Bailey before my very eyes. "Nice bumper-sticker," he said, pointing to the one on the front of my car -- the one that read "Bush knew".