Monday, July 12, 2004

The October breast cancer 3-day walk: Competing to do the most good deeds

"Life is a competition. The winners are the ones who do the most good deeds." And the absolute best deed one can do is to save a human life.

I am trying to save human lives by doing everything I possibly can to end the waste and squalor of war. I write letters. I call Congresspersons. I picket. I march. Yet despite all my efforts, hundreds of Americans, Iraqis, Israelis, Palestinians, Haitians, Sudanese, etc. still are getting blown up every day. I don't seem to be doing many good deeds by saving lives from war.

So I'm doing something else as well -- something that is a sure-fire way to save lives. I'm joining thousands of Bay Area women and men who will be walking 60 miles in October 2004 in order to raise money to prevent and treat breast cancer.

Please help to sponsor me in this endeavor. Right now I need to come up with registration fees, I need decent walking shoes. I need a personal trainer to keep me away from junk food. And I need YOU to get out your walking shoes too and walk as well.

If you want to donate $$$ to my team, click on https://www.the3day.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=30112&lis=0&kntae30112=627FEDE1DF1E45F88E08AE73409C5D26 then click on "sponsor a participant" and type in my name.

To register to walk in this event yourself, go to http://www.the3day.org/ and sign up.

Every entrant will eventually need to raise $2,000 in order to qualify to walk but we will have time to do that before October. Right now what really counts is our intention to do good deeds. (Other good deed suggestions: Tell your Congressperson that we need to get out of Iraq -- and to jail George Bush. Those would be two hecka good deeds right there. We'd win the good-deed competition for sure!)